Wednesday 30 November 2011


Am I Reverse Snob

“I sometimes have a bad feeling towards people
who look like they've tried so hard, buying items, stuff, blingbling etc (whatever it is designers item or not ) and who are obviously dressed to kill
who end up looking so uncomfortable in their outfits that it gives them an awful gaze of fake arrogance I guess to help them to pretend that they feel like bombs ... 
I love bad-dressed people when they don't care about it...
It can makes them look actually quite attractive”

I find this above quoted text from a 16 year old niece of mine quite interesting because I know how I feel about being stereotyped by others when they see my not so smooth appearance and usually carefree demeanor. Actually, I probably dress that way  as I do because I want to challenge peoples' perceptions of me, I'm always ready to 'discuss' why my appearance makes them feel as they do.
 I              can         get         a             bit          stubborn.

And so when I see myself stereotyping others, I stop to think about how wrong they are of me, and how likely it is that I may be wrong about them. When I talk of people stereotyping me, I'm talking about everyone and noone. I don't buy into any 'them and us' mentality - There are no such people.

I have long been intrigued about notions many on here have about 'the rich' or 'the herd'. As I asked earlier - just who are they? Could we spot one on the street? But just who are the rich? How do you classify them? Is there a certain income / power threshold, or perhaps anyone with more money than you? Does being beyond whatever the threshold mean , but just under mean they're ok? Is money / power really much of a factor in determining the quality of person? Sorry sockpuppet, I know I'm being a little conforntational here, but please be assured, it's the issue I'm getting at, not you.

It is my opinion that this is an example of us trying to create differences where none exist. We seem to be trying to make rationalisations to make ourselves special, to find reasons for our 'superiority'. It is my impression that we all do what we feel to be right at any particular time. For many, it is working hard to provide for, or impress whoever. For many here, it is by bucking the consumerist trends we do what we feel to be right. I would expect to see most people are a hotpot mixture of both all living in a way that is right for them. Is one way more right than another? Just as I would reject anyones authority to judge me, I question our authority to judge others. Do we ever know anyone well enough to be fair in our judgements? Indeed, with our greater awareness about how we are manipulated from day to day in so many ways, perhaps we should be more sympathetic to 'the herd'. Save our ire for the money-obsessed fatcats and leaders that take, and have, such an interest in controlling us as they do. 

But judge we all do, and because pretty much everyone does it, I wonder how much is hard-wired into us. I wonder if it is some in-built security system within us designed to help us suss others with a view to  progressing        our         own                needs.

Hmm, I'll stop there because I'm starting to question myself on what drivvle I'm spouting. Ah well, it's there if anyone wants to make anything of it... Life is a struggle

No comments:

Post a Comment